Sunday, March 27, 2016

Homework 6

- Why do you think "writing about what you know" leads to terrible stories?

If you write what you know, when will your imagination ever be put to use? It is like your talent will never progress because you're stuck in the same knowledge forever. Before writing, I think it is very important to put yourself as the audience as it will encourage you to be the writer you truly want to be.

- Within your chosen major or career path, how can you make better stories? Or, what are some of your ideas to progress stories that you think are not finished?


 I mentioned this before but ever since I was little I wanted to work for Pixar. I always wanted to be the one who thinks of the story plot for the short animations that play before the actual movie. I always like to rewatch them and try to find something in common in the plot. I noticed that many of the shorts have their main characters become lost in the beginning but eventually find their way back to each other. So I then took this plot and applied it to ideas of my own. I think it is important to start off slow and take your time. I used to always want everything to be my own idea completely, but I realized you won't really get anywhere unless you learn from others and grow from them.

- Within a creative practice, is working in a physical and/or non-digital way important to you? Describe how you do creative work (any writing, drawing, photography, playing sports - anything)  independently from a computer. How does a computer enhance or take away from your creative process?


I also mentioned this before but I love to listen to and write slam poetry. While I agree that a computer may rob us of the feeling of being creative, etc., I think a computer can be very helpful for a different reason. It is the one thing I definitely need as a part of my creative process. I am a very, VERY, forgetful person, so when I have ideas and try to write them down, I forget them along the way. A computer helps a lot more because I type faster than write, so I can easily jot them down without forgetting.

- What are the things you use to procrastinate? How do they then feed into the other areas of what you do or what you study? 


Even though I procrastinate a little too much, I always feel guilty. For some reason I like to think that working on my poems as procrastination would make up for procrastinating in the first place because at least it I am doing something productive for myself. I feel like this is kind of like a win-win situation but at the same time I won't be able to create a poem to the best of my ability because I constantly have the thought of needing to finish work that is due the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment