Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Homework 3

Because we, the younger generation, have been introduced to all these different experiences and have access to all kinds of media, it is difficult for us to be drawn to something so "simple" such as a painting in a museum. Many people want that constant entertainment. Whenever I am waiting for something, whether it'd be for an appointment or my next class, I, and like many others, will check my phone. But what happens when I finally finish reading my texts, running through my newsfeed, checking any updates, or playing my game apps? I become immensely bored. I become so bored that I reread tweets and texts, scroll again on instagram, or force myself to play a game that I have already gotten tired of. Although we are accessible to technology and its unlimited abilities (making it impossible for us to not be entertained), we become bored so easily if we see something that is not integrated with these forms of media.

With this, I agree that non-contemporary cinema does indeed bore the younger generation because it lacks sufficient information to keep them entertained. However, the blame should not be put on the Art itself. An artist does not have the responsibility to please its viewers; an artist creates art simply because they feel compelled to. I believe that whether an artwork brings you interest or not, it is not entitled to any of the feelings that are provoked.

I agree that because the world has brought more focus on digital media, we feel the need to believe in someone or something only if we have evidence through documentation. Although I am against this, we have no choice but to prove something to others with documented evidence such as a video recording or pictures. This reminded me of the many times I was given an assignment to visit a museum and write a research paper, but credit would not be given until I had pictures of myself next to the artwork. What about the whole essay I typed up explaining each artwork? Were they not good enough to prove that I had carefully analyzed each of them? We already have that plagiarism tool attached to each essay we turn in. Although the evidence was to make sure we did not just copy other work, it took away from my experience and full appreciation of each fine art. Just like going to a concert and recording the whole performance, we lose the full experience of certain things that matter to us.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you when you talk about how the younger generation always needs constant entertainment and have difficulties being drawn to pieces of art that are very simple or plain. The younger generation has a lot of information directly at their finger tips and always want an immediate answer, they don't want to look at a simple painting because they would have to interpret it for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its interesting that you point out how people in our generation kill time by checking their phones. It seems like whenever we're not engaged in activity we find ourselves mindlessly scrolling through our news feeds and texts. Something that I'm reminded of on this topic is when we go to check the times on our phone and end up getting onto some other app only to realize that you never even checked the time after you've locked your phone already. I feel like this is a really good example of how our subconscious is so accustomed to the constant activity and feedback (from comments made by others online). I really like your comment about how non-contemporary art bores the younger generation but that its not the art that is to blame but the audience - I think that the need for constant activity definitely contributes to this as our phones allow us to go back and forth between apps at our leisure whenever we get bored with one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like when you say "An artist does not have the responsibility to please its viewers" therefore they make the art they make because it pleases them or they want to send a certain message.

    ReplyDelete