Thursday, February 11, 2016

Homework 2

After reading the article "GIFs Are the New Graffiti," I think Guus ter Beek and Tayfun Sarier are truly revolutionary. Although I wouldn't exactly call it new "graffiti" based on the actual definition, never would I have thought to apply GIFs to street art. Their idea to incorporate GIFs that reflect each street's environment is very innovative and is a great example that proves GIFs can indeed be made into art; I think as long as there is a meaning for it. 

Since GIFs are now officially a form of art, I can only imagine the new ideas that will later be brought to the table. After reading about Tumblr putting digital art up for auction, I was very surprised by the range of prices they are being sold for ($800 to $1600). I don't know if I support GIFs being sold for high prices, but I guess by now being a form of art justifies being treated like an art and deserving recognition. 


Like Beek and Sarier's art, using GIFs to create a graphic novel also proves that modern art is constantly changing; there is no limit to what kind of medium is used for art. However, I don't believe the notion that GIFs democratize art is completely true. Yes, most of us have access to computers, certain softwares, and free websites to create them, but, like I said before, and like what Kevin Burg and Jamie Beck stated, there should be a reason behind making a certain GIF and not because the Internet loves them. I also agree with their reason why GIFs have become so popular- we desire speed. Because the world is now so advanced, there are lesser things that amaze us or even catch our slightest attention. When browsing the internet, usually if we see something too long to read or too long of a video, we simply ignore it or scroll on to other things. With GIFs, they have the ability to catch our attention right off the bat.




3 comments:

  1. Rochelle, saying that the world is so advanced and why there are less things to amaze us is something I haven't heard before when arguing that humans have short attention spans and I agree! Speed definitely is something that is important to tech users today. Great point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rochelle, saying that the world is so advanced and why there are less things to amaze us is something I haven't heard before when arguing that humans have short attention spans and I agree! Speed definitely is something that is important to tech users today. Great point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rochelle, I believe that graffiti isn't just simply defined as "street art". I think you have to break it down further into WHY people make graffiti art, which from my perspective is wanting to leave a mark on the world or a least hoping that someone might just stumble by and see your mark. I feel that it's the same with gifs -- one can just stumble upon a piece that a stranger created and decided to ignore it or view it for what it is. Gifs are the street art of the internet.

    ReplyDelete